Icebreaker, the veritable king of the wool world, has your back if you still don’t have a gift for that active individual on your holiday gift list. The Icebreaker Tech Top, a midweight base layer, has almost all the functional features you’d want, and will keep the winter chill away for any outdoor activity.
Icebreaker Tech Top Details
- Icebreaker 260 g/m2 Merino Wool
- 3 Way Collar- Zipped up, zipped down or rolled down
- Drop tail hem
- MSRP: $110
Icebreaker Tech Top Review
After making the Tech Top my go to piece for my last several ski tours, I am loving it! I have worn it for 10+ tours and haven’t washed it yet- no stench! For my full “wool vs. synthetic” commentary, see my review of the Icebreaker GT 260 Express Leggings (which, coincidentally, I have worn on all the tours I’ve had the Tech Top out for). The heavier weight wool provides ample warmth on the cooler days, but might be overkill for the milder days.
- Thummies! Though I’m sure that’s not the technical term, the Tech top comes with the ever-wonderful thumb loops which I refer to as thummies. Keeps your sleeves from riding up as you layer. I love it.
- Stink free and fuzzy soft. I’m not going to re-argue the benefits of wool here, but I continue to be a fan. After multiple wears, the Tech Top isn’t smelly or scratchy. Go wool.
- The Tech Top isn’t incredibly long. Though the back side is longer than the front (that’s your drop tail hem), the front could use to be a bit longer. It worked fine for layering, but I would have loved to see it about an inch longer in the front.
- No pocket. I love the Napoleon pocket on layers like this and was a bit disappointed to see that the Tech top didn’t come with one. That’s usually my go-to location to stash my iPod and a CLIF shot.
A great cool weather layering piece that keeps the stink at bay.