Every season a ton of new shoes hit the market. This fall I’ve had a chance to sample some of the offerings from Patagonia Footwear and Chaco.
Patagonia Advocate Plaid Lace Shoes
In short the Patagonia Advocate Plaid Lace Shoes are minimalist in build and full of style. A moccasin style shoe, there is only the thin sole between your foot and the ground. The lacing is elastic and flexes as you move throughout your day bringing all day comfort. The style looks a little bit retro, but classed up. The plaid inner and accents around the heel round it out.
Out of all four shoes I sampled the Advocate Plaid was the biggest attention getter. I received more compliments and comments on the Advocate Plaid than any other pair of shoes I’ve owned.
The Avocate is definitely a fair weather shoe. Wth basically no sole even in a light rain with hardly any water on the ground my feet were getting wet. It is an extremely packable shoe. You can roll the shoe up and it’s a little bigger then an adult fist. This would be a great travel shoe.
The Adocate Plaid Lace looks good with shorts or pants. It also features a removable insole.
Patagonia Advocate Plaid Lace Details:
- Durable, soft microfiber upper with 100% polyester plaid
- Recycled PET fleece collar and 100% polyester plaid lining (men)
- Rear pull-loop provides easy on/off; clips to pack and harness
- 3mm 20% EVA anatomical footbed provides cushioning, comfort and support
- 2mm 15% recycled EVA insole provides extra cushioning
- 3mm 20% recycled, durable Armadillo rubber sole provides grip, traction and protection
- Construction: Strobel; last characteristics; medium width, full toe box, medium arch/instep
- 155 g (5.5 oz)
- Price: $75.00
Patagonia Maui Woolzy Fold Shoes – Men’s
I have a colleague who is a 20+ year veteran of the footwear industry. When he told me “nice shoes” when I was weaing the Patagonia Maui Woolzy Fold Shoes, I paid attention.
The Woolzy is an update to the Maui line of shoes. It’s made of wool (I think of it as felted wool) which is perfect for wintertime chills. The Woolzy is both casual and classy at the same time. Slip them on when heading to the store or wear them when meeting with the boss.
By far the best feature is the leather heel. It easily folds down when your slipping the Woolzy on to be a slide. I have a pair of older Maui shoes that didn’t have this. Over time the constant up and down wore the fabric prematurely. Wit the leather this isn’t going to be a issue.
The Woolzy would also make a great travel shoe. It’s comfy for all day wear and can bridge the gap between museum walking and dinner at a nice restaurant in the evening.
Patagonia Maui Woolzy Fold Details:
- Wool tweed upper for warmth and comfort
- Fold-down heel converts shoe to a slide
- Breathable, moisture-wicking mesh lining; 20% recycled EVA footbed provides support and comfort
- Patagonia Air Cushion Plus provides shock absorption
- 20% recycled EVA midsole provides cushioning and comfort
- Maui high abrasion EVA outsole provides the ultimate lightweight platform; construction: Strobel
- Last characteristics: medium width, full toe box, medium arch/instep
- 167 g (5.9 oz)
- Price: $95.00
Chaco Brody Shoes
Each year the Chaco shoe selection gets better and better. The Chaco Brody Shoes are no exception.
The Brody is a good everyday shoe. It features a bit of skate shoe styling and all day comfort thanks to the Chaco LuvSeat XO2 platform (that’s fancy for foot support).
The embossed uppers feature a textured surface that increases abrasion resistance. The sole is 25% recycled materials and features good traction for wet conditions.
Chaco Brody Shoes Details:
- Embossed leather/suede upper is stylish and water-resistant<.li>
- EcoTread rubber outsole provides excellent traction and durability, and is made from 25% recycled materials to reduce waste
- LuvSeat XO2 platform properly aligns and cradles your foot and features a supportive and shock-absorbing ChaPU footbed to balance comfort and performance
- Price: $99
Chaco Tedinho Waterproof Boots
I will admit, when I first received the Chaco Tedinho Waterproof Boots I thought they were kind of a joke. I thought they were going to be the boots that someone would wear to look outdoorsy. However, for those who like the feel and hiking performance of an all-leather boot, the Tedinho performs on the trail. I was happy to be proven wrong.
First look at the tread and I thought “no way this is going to get good traction”. All it took was 10 minutes of on-trail time for me to be proven wrong. It worked surprisingly well. I will admit, I didn’t get out on muddy, slick trails (we had basically no rain this fall). I did get plenty of time on dry, sandy, and/or steep trails and I didn’t experience any slippage, even with a heavy load on. They are fully waterproof and will keep your feet dry on stream crossing, rainy days on the trails, or if you like to go puddle stomping.
The Tedinho Boots do have a fashion-focused look to them. The leather does scuff and scratch easily so if you’re wearing them to look nice, keep a shine brush handy. The Tedinho Boots are comfortable for long days on the trail or at work thanks to the LuvSeat XO2 platform.
Chaco Tedinho Waterproof Boots Details:
- Full grain waterproof leather, polyester, and suede upper
- LUVSEAT™ XO3 platform
- Lace-up fit with second lace option
- 3.5mm lug depth
- Price: $149.95