Looking for a good all-around softshell jacket? The Merrell Moab Softshell Jacket will fit the bill. From running, to urban cycling, skiing, and hanging out the Moab brings solid performance.
Merrell Moab Softshell Jacket Features
- Fabric: 87 % polyester, 13 % elastane, 100% polyester backing, DWR finish
- Windproof rating: 20 CFM
- Merrell Aeroblock™ provides high wind-resistance and breathability
- Merrell Conductor thermal fleece inside provides versatile heat retention in varying conditions
- Bonded, lightweight Merrell Conductor fleece backing
- Drawcord adjustable hem
- Zip-secure hand pockets / chest pocket
- No shoulder seam construction for greater water resistance and improved comfort under a backpack strap
- Center back length: 30 in (size large)
- Price: $128.95
Merrell Moab Softshell Jacket Review
The Merrell Moab Softshell Jacket is a versatile softshell. The Aeroblock fabric provides good protection from the elements but actually breathes fairly decently too. It truly keeps pace with you as you begin to heat up. Of course in the most stenuous of exertions you’ll get too warm but you should just take your jacket off anyway. During moderate exertion I didn’t sweat out of the jacket. The DWR finish provides some rain protection but it won’t keep pace in anything more than a light rain. The Moab is definitely at home in cold, dry, or snowy conditions. I typically won’t run in jackets but with the Moab on cold days I could run in it without getting too warm.
The fit is good. I’m 6′ tall, 180 lbs and the large fit me nicely. It does fit a little loose so you have some room for mid-layers.
The chest pocket and hand warmer pockets are fleece insulated but the inside of the pocket is the smooth side of the fleece. All pockets feature weatherproof zippers which are nice addition. I would have liked to see more substantial zipper pulls though. The thin pulls are a little awkward when wearing winter gloves.
The clean design and lines of the jacket keep it simple and you can pull off wearing the Moab out to dinner after a day on the hill without looking like you’re wearing a ski jacket.
One thing that I would to have love to see with the Moab is a hooded option. On a versatile jacket a hood would cap the deal for me.
- Zipper pulls are thin for pulling with gloves
- No hood option
The Merrell Moab Softshell Jacket is a versatile jacket and a great price point.