I’ve been sold on minimalist running shoes for about a year now. The Merrell Sonic Glove Running Shoe is a nice addition to your running shoe arsenal.
Merrell Sonic Glove Running Shoe Features
- Microfiber footbed treated with Aegis® antimicrobial solution resists odor
- Merrell Omni-Fit™ lacing System provides a precise, glovelike fit
- 4 mm compression molded EVA midsole cushions
- 1 mm forefoot shock absorbtion plate maintains forefoot flexibility and protects the foot by distributing pressure
- 0mm ball to heel drop keeps you connected to your terrain
- Vegan friendly footwear
- Vibram® Trail Glove Sole/Rubber Compound TC-1
- Men’s Weight: 6.5 ozs (1/2 pair)
- Price: $125
Merrell Sonic Glove Running Shoe Review
The Sonic Glove and the Trail Glove are very similar. The Sonic Glove shoes are relatively lightweight, the Omni-Fit lacing allows for a precise fit, and soles are very similar. The soles give great performance on dry trails but do slip around a little on muddy trails and in the snow.
The biggest differences between the Sonic Glove and the Trail Glove are: upper, lacing, and breatheability.
The upper is a softshell material. It provides greater protection over the mesh of the Trail Glove from the elements. While not totally waterproof, it does shed some water. It’s also great for dusty trails. It really helps keep the dust out of the shoe. One potential drawback that I’ve found is the breatheability isn’t quite as good as mesh. On hot days, this could be an issue. But for cooler weather I’ve liked it.
The lacing changed up a little too. The biggest difference is there are four “loop” eyelets vs five on the Trail Glove. I haven’t noticed any performance differences between 4 vs 5. I still get a great fit when tying my shoes. I don’t have to cinch them quite as tight since the softshell doesn’t stretch as much as the mesh.
Sizing still runs about the same, a little big. If you’re between sizes, you could likely go a half size down and be fine.
I think Merrell hit a home run with the Trail Glove and Sonic Glove is no exception. Very similar shoe but will fit a different set of needs.
- Softshell upper gives protection from elements and makes the shoe a little warmer than mesh models
- Same great sole
- If you run where it’s hot or you don’t like hot feet, the softshell upper might not work for you
- Sole is still a little slippery in the mud
The Merrell Sonic Glove Running Shoe is a great minimalist shoe. Good for running in variable weather.