We’ve all done it. Grabbed a [insert name]ade drink at the store before or after a ride. With the myriad of flavors and colors, it’s got to be good for your body, right? Well, that’s up for debate, but the fact of the matter is that most of those sports drinks contain oodles and oodles of sugar.
Sugar is good–sometimes. It gives you that quick burst of energy, but if that’s your liquid of choice on a long ride, it gets heavy and hard to swallow when all you need is water and electrolytes to maintain the proper hydration balance. Plus, you’re mixing energy with hydration which isn’t always the best thing to do.
Enter Nuun active hydration tablets, which are a portable and effective solution to provide just the right amounts of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium. magnesium, vitamin C and B2) every time. And, all you need is a quick-dissolving tablet and regular water.
Who needs another sports drink?
Nuun is a sports drink, but not in the same sense as all the others. Without any sugars and still offering a range of flavors that taste great, nuun changes the hydration game. Not only is it better for you not to have to swallow all that sugar, it’s also better for your water bottles and hydration bladders. In fact, nuun is truly the first hydration pack-friendly sports drink. Drop a couple of tablets, wait a minute and you’re golden.
With the regular sports drinks, they leave a sugary goo that’s hard to rinse clean. But, with nuun, it’s sugar-free formula is not only easy to drink, it’s easy to clean–nice!
I’ve been using the Lemon+Lime flavor for the past month on morning road rides. I love the taste and I do seem to drink more water than previously (nuun states that flavored waters have shown to increase consumption by 40%), which is a good thing. We all know that by the time you’re showing signs of dehydration, you’re too late to stave off some of the side effects.
The blend of vitamins and minerals in nuun speeds up hydration and essentially splits hydration from caloric intake. If you need to consume calories, they can be targeted calories, like a PROBar, ClifBAR, etc. There’s no calories piggybacking on top of your liquid hydration.
Nuun Active Hydration Tablet Details:
- Flavors: Lemon+Lime, Tri-berry, Citrus Fruit, Kona Cola and Orange Ginger (NEW)
- Quantity: Each tube contains 12 tablets
- Size: Standard Tablet (1 tab for 16 oz) or Bigger (1 tab for 32 oz)
- Price: $6.50 per tube or $22 for a 4-pack (Standard Tablets)
- Nutrition Facts: serving size = 1 tablet (4.6g); recommended dissolution volume: 16 oz water; amount per serving: calories 7, total fat 0, total carbohydrates <1g, sodium 360mg (15%), potassium 100mg (3%), magnesium 25mg (6%), calcium 13 mg (2%), vitamin c 37mg (63%), riboflavin .5mg (30%). *percent daily values (dv) based on a 2,000 calorie diet. not a significant source of other nutrients
- Read nuun FAQ’s
The bottom line… nuun hydration tablets provide the optimal mix of electrolytes, minerals and vitamins to keep you hydrated during all activities. By separating hydration from energy, you can optimize both instead of having to lump a bunch of calories into a sugary drink. That, to me, makes sense!
Buy Now: Search Backcountry.com for Nuun