Anymore it seams that Apps for the iPhone are almost as valuable as the phone itself. Skiers and snowboarders who are also owners of the iPhone have at their fingertips a number of snow report and other ski resort related applications.
One of the standouts that I’ve found recently is one called Snocator which uses interactive trail maps to show you where you are on the mountain with all lifts, runs and features included. It also provides the latest snow reports, weather conditions, mountain cams and up-to-the-minute forecasts. Pretty much there’s no reason for getting lost, cold, hungry, etc.
Nearly every major ski area in North America is covered by Snocator, and it features mountain cams for resorts throughout the world. More resorts are being added each day.
On mountain features:
- see your current location on a map and what trail you’re on (note: this will be less accurate for non-GPS iPhones)
- Plan your next runs using interactive trail maps
- Find the nearest spot to warm up, grab lunch, or get a hot drink
- Find your friends – a feature that will be coming soon
- Track your runs, speed, and vertical (and coming soon you can show it off on a map)
- Check the latest weather forecasts
Off mountain features:
- Get snow reports: search resorts in order of largest snowfall and proximity to you
- Check out views of the mountain from real-time mountain cams
- Keep a list of your favorite resorts
- Find the nearest resorts to you
- Track your progress en-route to the slopes and see how far away you are
Snocator costs a one-time fee of $5.99 which is a bit steeper than some of the other apps I’ve seen but the robust nature of this app is worth the 6 clams. It works anywhere you have a data signal or wifi connection with your iPhone which these days is just about any major ski resort. My buddy was at the top of the Tram at Snowbird and blogged from his iPhone.
So much for “escaping” the land of wires and wireless eh?
You can begin Snocating by one of three ways: 1) Visit the iPhone App Store and search for Snocator under the Sports category, 2) Text “snow” to 90999 from your iPhone, or 3) Simply click the Buy Now link below to launch iTunes on your computer and go straight to the Snocator info page.