April showers bring May flowers and it’s raining jackets here at Gear.com. Like a good pair of snow boots a good rain jacket is another staple every woman should have. Rain jackets have come a long way and there are various styles and colors to pick from. First things first, figure out what you’ll be doing the majority of the time wearing the jacket (i.e. shopping, traveling, trekking, etc). Once you have it narrowed down you’ll be able to find a style which works best for you. If you’re an around town type of gal then I recommend the trench style. However, if you’re planning on trekking through the rain forest then maybe a classic style is up your alley. I’m practical and go for the classic style. Just because classic is very functional doesn’t mean you can’t be fashionable by playing up the color. Check out my Top 3 picks and stay dry this Spring.
The Precip Jacket is affordable, stylish, and packs down into the pocket. Who doesn’t want a jacket that packs down to nothing?! Take this classic jacket from everyday life to the backcountry. Pit zips are a must if you plan on trekking or hiking and the Precip wont disappoint. Since it’s available in sixteen colors no need to worry about your BFF sporting the same color! Sport either a two tone or solid color this season, I’m diggin the ultra violet/light violet and everglade.
- PreCip® Dry Touch Technology, Waterproof/Breathable – Waterproof / Breathable
- 100% Seam Taped – For Full Waterproofness
- Full Visibility Roll-Up Hood with Integral Collar
- PitZips™ – Underarm Zip That Extends Into the Body for Aggressive Venting
- Pack Pockets™ – Slanted Chests Pockets That Can Be Accessed While Wearing a Pack
- Double Storm Flap Over Zipper with Snap/Velcro® Closure
- Elastic Draw Cord Hem – For Adjustability in Serious Weather
- DriClime® Lined Chin Guard – Moisture Wicking Fabric Protects Your Face From the Zipper
- Angel-Wing Movement™ – Allows Full Range of Motion in Arms so Jacket Doesn’t Ride Up
The K Jacket isn’t your typical rain jacket. It’s the perfect combo of parka trench meets rain jacket making it functional and fashionable. Complete with a belt and a detachable hood. Two details which make it easy to switch up the look from day to night. The K is very breathable but doesn’t come with pit zips so I wouldn’t hike Mt Whitney with it. Like the multi tasking lady you are the K will not only fit your personality but, your easy going lifestyle. Although available in 14 colors I wouldn’t steer too far from black, brown, or taupe.
- Waterproof, breathable, seam sealed
- Adjustable, removable hood
- Center front two-way zip
- Two flap-closure chest pockets
- Two hand pockets
- Removable waist belt
- Internal media pocket
- Zip sleeve gussets
The list wouldn’t be complete without a rain jacket from Patagonia. Despite the fact, the Patagonia Rain Shadow Jacket was included in the Top 3 here, the Torrentshell couldn’t be over looked. The Torrentshell is the most affordable and durable rain jacket for any outdoor enthusiast. With pit zips for added ventilation no need to worry about overheating when you’re hard at play. The best part about the Torrentshell is it stuffs into one of two zippered handwarmer pockets. Not into sporting the hood today don’t fret the hood rolls down and stows away! While the Torrentshell is available in nine funtastic colors this season I’m eyeing either rhubarb or ultramarine. Cool features, fun colors, at an affordable price – What’s not to love about the Torrentshell jacket? Now go out and buy two!
- 2.5-layer nylon ripstop shell with a waterproof/breathable H2No® barrier and Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish
- 2-way-adjustable hood with laminated visor rolls down and stows
- Microfleece-lined neck for comfort and enhanced protection of waterproof/breathable barrier
- Center-front zipper has exterior and interior storm flaps to keep water out; pit zips with storm flaps and Deluge DWR-treated zippers
- Self-fabric hook-and-loop cuff closures
- Pockets: two handwarmers, one internal mesh drop-in
- Drawcord hem; packs into zippered self-storage pocket
- 2.5-layer, 2.6-oz 50-denier 100% nylon ripstop, with a waterproof/breathable H2No® barrier and a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Recyclable through the Common Threads Recycling Program